Monday, May 19, 2008

Pattern Puzzle & Quiz: Threads pt.2



I'm out of town today, off to Los Angeles again through Saturday. In the meantime, I'll leave you with the answers to the most recent challenge. I thought the answers provided in comments to the quiz were very interesting and educational!



Robyn mentioned the raised embroidery technique was called passementerie. Wiki says this includes effects like fringe and tassel making. Hmm. The photo of the sample there doesn't convince me but what do I know? There's more on passementerie too.



Els described the effect as made with bias tubing -with which I'd concur. I don't think it's corded though. I think the fill we see is due to seam allowances. For comparison, here's a photo of a bias corded sample from Colette Wolfe's book, The Art of Manipulating Fabric.





No comments: